As much as I love simple fun accessories, trendy shoes and statement bags, I think the best finds/buys are those investment pieces that you know you’ll be wearing over and over again. And when it comes to buying investment pieces, what’s most important is versatility and quality. Sometimes the best options can be a bit expensive which is why they are called “investment” but if you know those that those pair of black strappy sandals can be your answer to most of your shoe dilemmas or that trendy piece of denim will be hugging your bottoms for the next couple of years, it might be worth it. Being a minimalist, I have come up today with top 10 investment pieces (not in any order) that every minimalist should have in her wardrobe that will be completely worth the splurge:
1. Pair of Denim Jeans/ Denim Dress – Admittedly we all live in jeans almost five days (sometimes even seven) a week. Therefore these have to be of great quality and super comfortable. Having one of each variety whether skinny, flared, distressed, ripped, straight or even an oversize boyfriend one always helps. These days even denim dresses, in all sorts of varied styles, are becoming increasingly popular because of the comfortable denim fabric and versatility of styling. You can wear them from a casual brunch with friends to a formal night out with office colleagues.
2. Black/ White Solid T shirt/ Tank Top – These are undoubtedly very important for all those times when you just really wish to highlight your bottom-wear be it the over sized floral flared pants, a printed long skirt, pencil patterned skirt or even just with your regular pair of denims/ shorts (for those lazy days). These also come in handy when you want to layer and do not have the time to think about the layering pieces.The neutral & basic colors cover you completely.
3. Duster Coat/ Blazer in Neutral/ Pastel Tones – This is one of the simplest ways of adding chic, dimension and comfort to the most basic of outfits be it any season. A duster coat has gained immense popularity as a great outerwear over the last few years. It instantly elevates the look to being more edgy and pulled together. And definitely both the duster coats and light weight pastel toned jackets are great pieces of clothing for all transitional months too.
4. Statement Top – I have a plenty of them in my closet because I normally like to dress up easy by simply adding a pair of denims or a white linen pant and I am ready to go. With statement tops, you don’t need to do much thinking since they do your job for you. It is also very easy to dabble with trends here. Ruffles, flares, wrap, peplum, balloon style, off-shoulder, choker,……the list is endless. I have a majority of them in wrap style & bell sleeves because those are quite flattering for my body type!
5. Linen pants in White/ Gray/ Beige – Linen pants are no longer confined to warmer months. You can see fashionistas, models, socialites & bloggers flaunting them even in the cooler months. Therefore these are as good as a staple for your wardrobe now. Have them in shades of white, black, gray, beige & navy and you are sorted. Hands down, linen pants spell chic & sophistication effortlessly.
6. Striped Ts – Stripes are a classic pattern without a doubt. They are timeless and most versatile. You do not have to think twice about looking trendy or feeling out of fashion when donning stripes. Where florals, polka dots, graphic patterns have had their highs & lows, I think stripes are one pattern you can wear all the time without making your outfit look boring or simple. And with a huge variety of stripes available NOW more than ever, you can be sure of making a statement with this pattern.
7. Button Up Shirt – Button up shirts are the key to looking put-together no matter what you pair them with. They’re really easy to dress up with a pair of dainty heels and statement necklace, or dress down with a pair of ripped jeans and slip-ons. White & black are definitely my go-to colors but having a few more colors that suit your personality will always be an added advantage.
8. Black/ Nude- Strappy Heels/ Pumps – Both these type of heels are accessories that can take your look from drab to fab within seconds. They are basic yet have a stamp of class & edge written all over them.They are simple, chic & versatile and go perfectly well with your LBDs and your denims alike. In fact both the nude and black colored heels can be seen in such wide range of styles in the market only because they go superbly well with most of your outfits and are almost interchangeable.
9. Black/ Tan Tote Bag – A simple black/ tan tote is as much a staple these days as a pair of denim jeans. I have seen that both these colored totes go with most of my looks and are super stylish and right-on-trend. I have actually nothing to worry about if I am carrying either of these two totes. Not to forget the ease of carrying and the huge amount of space that I get for my knick-knacks and other daily essentials. Therefore a nice quality tote even though a little pricey must form a part of your wardrobe staple.
10. Black Sunglasses- Cats-eye/ Round – Though this would depend entirely on your facial structure and what suits you best, I am a big fan of cats-eye and round frames. I have seen that most of the times even my simplest of outfits is elevated by simply adding my cats-eye sunglasses. I am not too fond of aviators since they do not really match my style but you can always find your perfect pair from a whole new variety of frames & lenses now available in the market.
Hope this post has been useful guys! And next time you step out to shop, remember to splurge only on pieces that you know will be worth investing in for years to come. After all that being a wise shopper is always healthy both for your wardrobe and your pocket! Trends come & go but investment pieces stay fresh forever….